Struggling with limb loss is unfortunately a reality for over two million Americans. However, certain demographics are at higher risk due to unequal access and treatment in our society and healthcare systems; people of color being most notably affected. Diabetes, PAD (Peripheral Artery Disease) and CLI (Chronic Limb Ischemia) also increase an individual’s odds of facing amputation or other new limitations on mobility – if you think these factors may apply to your situation it’s essential that you take steps towards prevention by consulting with your physician right away!
1. Ziegler-Graham K, MacKenzie EJ, Ephraim PL, Travison TG, Brookmeyer R. “Estimating the Prevalence of Limb Loss in the United States: 2005 to 2050.” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 2008;89(3):422-429. doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2007.11.005
2. Fisher ES, Goodman DC, Chandra A. “Disparities in Health and Health Care among Medicare Beneficiaries: A Brief Report of the Dartmouth Atlas Project.” Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2008.
3. Holman KH, Henke PK, Dimick JB, Birkmeyer JD. Racial disparities in the use of revascularization before leg amputation in Medicare patients. Journal of vascular surgery. 2011 Aug 1;54(2):420-6. doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2011.02.035
4. Li Y, Burrows NR, Gregg EW, Albright A, Geiss LS. “Declining Rates of Hospitalization for Nontraumatic Lower‐Extremity Amputation in the Diabetic Population Aged 40 Years or Older: U.S., 1988–2008.” Diabetes Care February 1, 2012;35(2):273‐7. doi.org/10.2337/dc11- 1360
5. Bancks MP, Kershaw K, Carson AP, Gordon-Larsen P, Schreiner PJ & Carnethon MR. (2017). Association of modifiable risk factors in young adulthood with racial disparity in incident type 2 diabetes during middle adulthood. Jama, 318(24), 2457-2465. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.19546
6. Rizzo JA, Chen J, Kotlarz H, Ryan MP & Gunnarsson C. (2016). Racial Disparities in Amputation Rates for the Treatment of Peripheral Artery Disease Using the Health Care Cost and Utilization Project Database. Value in Health, 19(3), A55-A56. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jval.2016.03.142
7. Tan TW, Shih CD, Concha-Moore KC, Diri MM, Hu B, Marrero D, … & Armstrong, DG (2019). Disparities in outcomes of patients admitted with diabetic foot infections. PLoS One, 14(2), e0211481. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0215532
8. Centers for Disease Control. Hispanic/Latino Americans and Type 2 Diabetes. September 2019. Access March 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/library/features/hispanic-diabetes.html
9. O’Connel J, Yi R, Wilson C, Manson SM & Acton KJ. (2010). Racial disparities in health status: a comparison of the morbidity among American Indian and US adults with diabetes. Diabetes Care, 33(7), 1463-1470. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1652
10. Young BA, Maynard C, Reiber G & Boyko EJ. (2003). Effects of ethnicity and nephropathy on lower-extremity amputation risk among diabetic veterans. Diabetes care, 26(2), 495-501. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.26.2.495
11. Lavery LA, Houtum WHV, Ashry HR, Armstrong DG, Pugh JA. “Diabetes-Related Lower-Extremity Amputations Disproportionately Affect Black and Mexican Americans.” Southern Medical Journal (online) 1999,92(5):593. doi: 10.1097/00007611-199906000-00008
12. Li Y, Burrows NR, Gregg EW, Albright A, Geiss LS. “Declining Rates of Hospitalization for Nontraumatic Lower‐Extremity Amputation in the Diabetic Population Aged 40 Years or Older: U.S., 1988–2008.” Diabetes Care February 1, 2012;35(2):273‐7. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc11-1360
13. Pandian G, Hamid F, Hammond M. Rehabilitation of the Patient with Peripheral Vascular Disease and Diabetic Foot Problems. In: DeLisa JA, Gans BM, editors. Philadelphia: Lippincott‐Raven; 1998.
14. Selvin E, Erlinger TP. “Prevalence of and risk factors for peripheral arterial disease in the United States: Results from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999‐2000.” Circulation 2004;110(6):738‐43.https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000137913.26087.F0
15. Gender differences in the impact of poverty on health: disparities in risk of diabetes-related amputation. Amin L, Shah BR, Bierman AS, Lipscombe LL, Wu CF, Feig DS, Booth GL. Diabet Med. 2014;31:1410–1417/. https://doi.org/10.1111/dme.12507
16. Ephraim PL, MacKenzie EJ, Wegener ST, Dillingham TR, Pezzin LE. “Environmental Barriers Experienced by Amputees: The Craig Hospital Inventory of Environmental Factors – Short Form.” Archive of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2006,87(3):328-333. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2005.11.010